What happened to my friend

I lived in San Francisco for short period in 1991. I was about 20 years old at the time. I was so young and naive and in a bad relationship. Needing to break away from this toxic relationship I got a job on base when I met a new friend named Maryann. She was this beautiful half Japanese half caucasian girl I met while working for the commissary at  Moffett Field Naval base in California. Her dad was a Navel Officer and they just got stationed there. We became instant friends and where inseparable. We where like peas in a pod. She was dear to my heart. When I left California I can remember thinking how much I loved her and how I was going to miss her so much.

We lost touch as the years rolled by. But then recently I googled her name and a phone number popped up. And just like that I found her. I called her and we chatted for a few minutes on the phone. She was very vague and unengaged it seemed, she didn't ask much about my life or how I've been all these years which I found strange. She seemed more focused on where I lived and on starting up some internet sweepstakes thing here in Arizona??? I was baffled. apparently she was doing this "internet sweepstake" thing  in Bakersfield where she's currently living. And according to her the police shut it down? That should have been my first clue, right?! I blew it off and decided maybe we just have grown into different people and I decided to walk away from it and let it go. She never text back after that day, and just like that she was gone again. Two weeks later out of nowhere I get a random text message from her saying she was sorry for not texting but she's coming into town in a couple of days and she was hoping I could make time to see her. It was kind of strange and unexpected but I said OK and was excited to see her again. Well I saw her this past Saturday and as she pulled up I walked out side to greet her. She looked at me and I put my hands over my mouth and teared up. My Maryann, I waited 20 years to see her. She teared up too and we hugged. I noticed right away that she didn't look right. Something seemed off?? When she talked I noticed she had missing rotted teeth, her hair was kind of greasy like she hadn't taken a bath and she was with some shady looking people. I instantly got a bad vibe. And to be honest it scared me. She came inside to chat and all she wanted to talk about was her internet "business" oh and her crazy mom. Once again she didn't ask me one question about my life or about my family. NOTHING!  She was talking a mile a minute and at that point I just wanted her to leave. It was depressing and it was obvious she was on something. Her friends too... the guy she was with kept falling asleep on my living room chair. This guy had never met me before and my husband was in the garage and he kept nodding off?? I'm in shock and and utterly disappointed. I can't believe it... what happened to my friend? Dear God what happened to her?
 
Dear People of the world... drugs don't care about what color you are or how old are, whether your rich or poor. It will destroy your life.





Comments

Popular Posts