Our Conversation... This Is A Good One!

Today is going to be a good day!!! Do you wanna know why? I'll tell ya.... I'm so happy right now! AL called me last night just to talk. He said he just wanted to hear my voice. We talked for 55 minutes!! Our conversation was filled with many different topics. We talked about his addiction, about addiction in general and the effects of opiants/heroin and other drugs. For the first time EVER we had a conversation about "IT" without getting emotional or angry. Then our conversation turned into how people lack understanding and compassion for addicts and homeless people. He said to me "Mom having been on the other side and STILL struggling though it; I get it! I completely get it" and then he said to me "It makes me want to help those people." (I have to remind myself to breath)

Now as you can imagine my heart was filling up with nothing but complete joy and pride. This was my son talking to me, not the addict. MY SON! (Taking beep breaths right now, whew.) By the end of our conversation we had decided to do something positive about this revaluation we had. So on August 1st we are going to make a bunch of blessing bags filled with snacks and condiments and other items including prayer cards and a personal note of encouragement and distribute them to homeless people in downtown Phoenix. He said, "let's start a movement mom, maybe our random act of giving will inspire others to do the same?" WHOA, I'm beside myself today. Last night was huge, a breakthrough in my opinion. I finally got to talk to my son, Oooooh how I missed him so much! I cried happy tears for once. (My heart is pounding right now) He said "Let's make this a long term goal to start a non-profit to give to these people a little bit of kindness in a bag and maybe JUST MAYBE a little hope.

The best part of it all was my youngest son JR was sitting right there next to me listening to it all. He sat there with a smile on his face (You know the kind of smile that lights up a room, yea that's the one!) and I knew his heart was filling up with joy and pride at that very moment too.

Thank you God for giving us this one moment of happiness and hope. We so desperately needed it.





Comments

Liz said…
Oh my gosh, I am so happy for you! I know exactly what you mean... It is a blessing when their old selves emerge and we see that glimse of how it used to be and hopefully how it WILL BE again.. God bless to you and your son.
Erin said…
Yay!!!! This sounds like a breakthrough to me! So happy you had a wonderful conversation with your son!
Al's Mom said…
Yes... I'm feeling some hope for once. He came by tonight for dinner... he watched a movie with us and even snuggled with me. Ha he's always done that and I thank God he still does. When he was in my arms it was as if the world slowed down and I felt at peace. That's feeling always happen too when we both are in a calm state. Maybe something good will happen? Fingers crossed!

Thanks friends!

Ana

Popular Posts