This Is His Life Now

It's been a while since I posted last. Sorry, been working on self care and for me that was kind of hard to do. I was so use to making sure everyone else was OK that I never really thought to stop and take care of me. But that way of thinking is long gone.. I now take time to take care of me. You'll be seeing more of me on here.

OK so here's a little update. July 10th Al had his 4th year anniversary FREE from heroin. On the 10th I woke up that morning feeling so grateful and kind of beside myself. I sat outside with my cup of coffee and my cigarette just taking it all in. 

I texted him saying... "So today is your fourth year of sobriety. And it came up on my timeline on Facebook. Happy four years my darling son. I thank God every day for the gift of you. I love you beyond measure." My phone went silent for a few minutes and then he texted me back saying... 
"Dam it’s been 4 years seems like yesterday I was detoxing in Calvary. Didn’t know if I was going to die or make it another day. Ironically life seemed so much simpler back then. The life I have now I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world and my growth has a direct line to your love mom. Thanks for not giving up on me and providing me with that chance to get here." As you can imagine I immediately teared up.

Al now has this amazing little life he's building with someone he fell in love with, her name is Angie and they have been together a year already.  He and Angie and her little daughter whom we all adore has made a life together. I love watching his own little family grow, it's adorable to see. My heart is full. They just moved into this cute condo and had their first family BBQ at their home... it was surreal. Watching my son standing outside grilling in his own place talking with his dad (smiling and laughing) is unreal and a moment I never thought I would see. I couldn't help but think THIS IS HIS LIFE NOW! My heart feels swollen with pride and happiness. He's genuinely happy and content, I can feel it and you can see it in his face. As he walked in and out of the house busy grilling and entertaining I grinned and said thank you God, this is his life now! (Smiling from ear to ear)

So for today life is good, he's in a good place and our life continues to be filled with nothing but peace. Sobriety is possible four years and counting.


Comments

Popular Posts