I Don't Agree

I have to get something off my chest. My best friend and I were talking the other day about drug addiction. I said to her "No one wants to be a drug addict, no one wants that kind of life" Her response kind of shocked me, she said " I don't agree, I think some people like living that way". She is a very insight person and she always challenges me on my views which is good. But on this view I strongly disagree with her and to avoid what I believe is too touchy of a subject at least for me right now I just changed the subject. However later... down the road I plan to be very vocal about it. Someone has too, someone needs to say it out loud that this is a problem and it can steal your kid too. The facts are it is a choice to "TRY" drugs or alcohol. But for some because of the way their brain is wired when they do try a drug or alcohol it takes them hostage. And no one wants to be held hostage. Have you ever notice how some people can have a drink or two and know when to stop but some people keep slamming down the drinks not knowing their limits? It's how they are wired. You need to go to this website The National Institute Of  Drug Abuse. They base their research off intense studies done at the nation's top Universities.Below is an insert from one of their studies.
What Happens to Your Brain When You Take Drugs?
Drugs contain chemicals that tap into the brain’s communication system and disrupt the way nerve cells normally send, receive, and process information. There are at least two ways that drugs cause this disruption: (1) by imitating the brain’s natural chemical messengers and (2) by overstimulating the “reward circuit” of the brain.
Some drugs (e.g., marijuana and heroin) have a similar structure to chemical messengers called neurotransmitters, which are naturally produced by the brain. This similarity allows the drugs to “fool” the brain’s receptors and activate nerve cells to send abnormal messages..
Long-term abuse causes changes in other brain chemical systems and circuits as well. Glutamate is a neurotransmitter that influences the reward circuit and the ability to learn. When the optimal concentration of glutamate is altered by drug abuse, the brain attempts to compensate, which can impair cognitive function. Brain imaging studies of drug-addicted individuals show changes in areas of the brain that are critical to judgment, decision making, learning and memory, and behavior control. Together, these changes can drive an abuser to seek out and take drugs compulsively despite adverse, even devastating consequences—that is the nature of addiction

Comments

Popular Posts