Al Went To Detox


As I was driving on the freeway this morning I found myself gazing ahead at the break lights flashing on and off with the touch and go traffic I was in this morning. Getting lost in thought of all that’s has happened in the past four weeks. I’m still in shock; am I dreaming can someone pinch me please?? The radio was off and all I could hear was the tires spinning on the asphalt and the whispering sounds of cars and trucks passing me by. I felt at ease, kind of numb and for once my mind is not swimming with fears of Al sleeping in his car down a dark street somewhere or lying somewhere overdosing, even worse laying somewhere dead just another John Doe drug addict to identify. For the first time in years I knew where he was, he was somewhere safe!

Al went to detox… then checked himself into a treatment facility this past Saturday. And just like that my world changed! WHOA!!! Slow and easy Ana, just breath!

Heather has been in constant communication with Al. She gathered up her army of angels and offered to walk with him on his journey to recovery if he chooses to get help. He did, a few days later he reached out to her. Heather lived up to her promise and she walked with him every step of the way. It was a scary, heart wrenching walk but mostly filled with awe striking Godly moments in between. It amazes me how things can seem so bleak and hopeless then here comes someone who can tear down walls with their kindness and use their God given ability to impact people’s lives with their words in one a single moment. That’s kind of how it happened. The pivotal moment was when Heather gave them all their options, laid it out for them… she said “I gave them a winning lottery ticket” but they had to think about it. She then told them in a text message “Well when you’re sick and tired of being sick and tired call me”… A few days later Al texted her saying “Heather I think I’m tired of being sick and tired”.

It’s rare to meet someone who can look past a person’s exterior and see them for who they really are. It’s hard to look past their pain, their addictions, and their anger and it's hard to see the human being under all that scar tissue. You could say what motivated her was our friendship but it was more than that. She saw him… she saw his heart. I remember her telling me when she first met Al... She said “he has a light in his eyes, he's a good person”. Ahhh I love her!


Heather and Al ... First day out of detox!


Clean... cut!

A hug of relief from his brother!


Me hugging my son goodbye, off to treatment... relief!


Daddy walking Al in... to a new beginning!


His first coin! (Can you hear me breath?)












Comments

Mrs. Dubose said…
What good news.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Liz said…
My heart is just bursting with thankfulness and joy!
Happy Thanksgiving Ana!
Sheri said…
Smiles and hopeful thoughts !,
Sheri said…
Smiles and hopeful thoughts !,
Al's Mom said…
Thanks friends!!! I'm all smiles these days!

Popular Posts